Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Happy Book Birthday Prom & Prejudice!

And now, a very special HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY to one of my favorite YA authors. Stephanie Wardrop writes the highly entertaining, bestselling Snark & Circumstance series. She's got the wit of Meg Cabot combined with the stylistic imaginings of Jane Austen, all wrapped into one fantastic young adult package. Happy book birthday, Prom & Prejudice! And be sure to leave a comment with your best date outfit -- I'll gift one commenter with a copy of P&P!!

Take it away Stephanie!

Maybe it’s a good thing I never went to a prom. People act like you’ll be scarred for life, but I can tell you that’s not true. And in missing the prom, I missed having to figure out what to wear to the prom.
In Prom and Prejudice, the last installment of the e-novella series Snark and Circumstance, my main character doesn’t go to the prom either. But Georgia does have a date – maybe – with her crush on prom night:
The phone rings and I get it from the wall (we are the only people in the industrialized world to still have a wall phone in the kitchen. I manage to do this, I hope, without appearing to have been waiting all day for the sound of that ring. At least, I don’t rip the phone out of the wall when I grab it.
“Hey, Georgia, it’s Michael.”
“Oh, hi,” I say, and I hope I sound offhand.
“Can you come over around seven, to my house?” he asks.
I don’t hesitate. “Yeah, I think I can do that.”
“Great! I’ll see you then.”
“Okay. Bye.”
Just then my sisters walk in. Leigh is giggling and Cassie waggles her burgundy-colored nails at me and all their hair is piled high on their heads like they came to life and walked off the walls of the Parthenon. They are prepped and prom-ready.
“Michael just called,” I say.
“Oooooh,” Leigh whispers, smiling.
“Told you,” says Tori.
“He wants me to come over around seven tonight.”
Mom and Leigh and Cassie are looking at me like I am about to produce a rabbit out of a hat while Tori grips my arms. “So you know what this means?” she says with restrained excitement lighting up her whole face.
“No, what?”
“That he is definitely not going to prom! Not with Darien—or anyone.”
Leigh squeals for a second and clamps a hand over her mouth. Her nails are pale pink and perfect looking.
“The prom is at eight, right?” I point out. “He could still go.” The oven timer dings and I take the cupcakes out, determined to not be hopeful. I am too afraid to be hopeful. Hope can be the first step toward spectacular disappointment.

So what should Georgia wear to an event that might be a date, might be a friendly hanging out, might be totally embarrassing for her if she assumes it is more than it is? What do you wear when you want to look good but not like you worked at it? What’s your go-to look? Tell us in the comments and one commenter will win a copy of P&P!


Buy all of the Snark and Circumstance series on Amazon or Barnes & Noble


Blurb:
Georgia Barrett is beginning to realize that her arch-preppie lab partner, Michael Endicott, is not at all the snob-hole she once thought. Too bad Georgia doesn’t see him for who he really is until he starts dating a poised and polished senior.

Georgia knows she should settle for his friendship, especially since telling him how she really feels would mean risking losing him altogether. But her heart tells her a chance at love might just be worth dropping her trusty shield of snark. And Georgia’s determined to find out.

9 comments:

  1. I'll start! The not-trying-too-hard look of choice for me is skinny jeans, boots, and a tight sweater. ;) What about y'all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You stole my answer, ST!
    Since I'm wishing it was warmer, I'll go with a cute tank, dark jeans and strappy sandals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, I wonder what happens? Hmmm. If it was me, I'd go casual, but dressy-casual, but make it look like I didn't get myself made-up. Some skinny jeans, flats, pretty silk top and a long scarf to add the final touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers! For me, I usually go with my favorite pair of jeans (they have a really cute lacey, rhinestone belt), a simple black top (like the one in my pic) and black, high heeled boots. I usually finish it off with a simple necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wear dresses all the time. I'd say a simple, casual dress with some cute shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the other Rachel, I am OVER cold and snow, so I'm pretending my maybe-maybe-not date is happening somewhere warmer! I would probably wear a cute, but casual sun dress and flats, like my girl Michelle here:

    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/258605203572409479/

    Except my dress would for sure NOT be Prada. Because nothing says "I just left the casual maybe-date zone" quite like wearing a Prada dress, no matter how casual it's meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blast! Typos! Trying again:

    Georgia would wear something rocker-ish combined with something casual. She didn't particularly seem to like the heels last time (if I remember correctly), so I'm putting her in some sort of vintage, simple dress with Converse or Doc Martens. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting this! You got so many great suggestions I may have to hire some of these ladies as my personal stylists. Lord knows I need one. :)

    ReplyDelete