Sunday, August 11, 2013

Disney's D23 Expo (aka the best weekend ever!)

In case y'all haven't figured this out about me, I am a ginormous nerd. Shakespeare, show tunes, super heroes -- if it's even the teensiest bit geeky, I probably love it. 

And since Disney acquired Marvel and LucasFilm, going to Disney's D23 Expo with thousands of fellow geeks was like being in heaven.  

I had the most amazing time at the convention. I wish I had more pictures to share, but they bagged up our cameras for the big events, and being a notorious rule follower I was too nervous to sneak a pic. (But I did manage to snag a few on the floor!)  Some of my absolute favorite parts of the weekend were:

-Meeting John Lasseter, Chief Creative Officer of Disney and the head of Pixar. I touched him! And then I nearly passed out.

-Seeing Tom Hiddleston (aka Loki himself!) promote his upcoming Tinker Bell movie.  (You read that right. Loki's in a Tinkerbell Movie. Aw!) He admitted he sang Bear Necessities as his RADA audition piece... and then sang it! Want to see Loki sing Disney? Get ready to swoon.

See Tom sing via YouTube HERE

-Seeing Loki, Natalie Portman and Anthony Hopkins talk Thor! I've got a list of about five actors I'd reallyreallyreally like to meet, and Sir Anthony Hopkins has been tops of that list forever.  Being 200 feet from him was almost too much. I jumped up and down like a caffeinated kangaroo, shrieked like a howler monkey, and then nearly hyperventilated. But the rest of the auditorium did exactly the same thing. It was awesome! And then they screened brand new footage from the upcoming Thor: The Dark World. *DYING!!!!*

-Seeing Idina Menzel (Wicked's original Elpheba) sing "Let it Go" from the upcoming Norse themed film, Frozen... while the musical team behind Frozen/Book of Mormon/Avenue Q cheered her on! 

You can watch Idina sing via YouTube HERE.

-Watching a strikingly beautiful Angelina Jolie talk about cheerfully greeting young kids on the set of her upcoming film, Maleficent -- "because I'm a Disney character!"  And then watching those kids run to their parents saying, "Mommy! Make the scary witch stop talking to me!" Oops!

-Seeing Chris Evans, Dane Cook, Sebastian Stan, and so many other Disney/Marvel/Lucas stars talk about working with the company.

-Watching Planes director Klay Hall interacting with young fans on the convention center floor.

-Singing "It's A Small World" along with Richard Sherman, and seeing Alan Menkin play one of my favorite songs, "Happy Working Song" from Enchanted. "What is it with Disney and cleaning," he asked? But you know what Disney taught me? To wear a tiara when I clean. And so I do.

And I'm sure you're all wondering: yes, I did meet Thor. It wasn't THAT Thor, but it was Thor nonetheless. 

Here's a four minute YouTube clip MovieManiacs put together on the weekend. It was an amazing experience, and I'm still buzzing from all the creative greatness I got to see. Can't wait to jump back into writing! Maybe Sir Anthony Hopkins will play Odin in one of my Norse mythologies someday. Hey, doesn't Disney teach us "A dream that you wish will come true"? That and "wear a fancy ball gown while cleaning to make things more fun," right Princess Giselle?


6 comments:

  1. You know I think I hate you right now :P so so so jealous!! I really need to visit the States and go celebrity hunting at a cool con. Thanks for all the info and videos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever go to ComicCon pretty please tell me all about it. I'd love to go someday!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great convention. You meet all the best people! Were there any Star Wars announcements now that Disney owns LucasArts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! None! We were all hoping but it's still a big mystery. :(

      Delete
  3. What a weekend for you!!! :) I'm definitely needing to go next year. (2015 is Star Wars Celebration at DisneyLand as well. WHOOT!)

    *sorry, am all geek*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have to meet up in 2015 then. That will be an insane conference!

      Delete