Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Introducing Monica B. Sanz -- The Awkward Love Song of Abigail Archer

If you're looking for my NAmazing Adventure post, click HERE!

Today I'm excited to introduce author and fellow Indie Ignites contributor, Monica B. Sanz! Monica's new release, The Awkward Love Song of Abigail Archer is a haunting love story, complete with its very own song. Check it out! 

Blurb:  
Refusing to collect a soul was never a part of his bargain...

Haunted by the death of a fiancée he doesn’t want, Marcus Kent strikes a deal with Death. For a century, he gathers souls by night in exchange for her life. By day, he endures a droning existence at her side while troubled by the many lives he has taken. However, when he’s tasked with collecting Abigail Archer’s soul, that monotonous gray is dispelled. He not only finds a healthy girl—with an eerie likeness to his fiancée—waiting for death, but a girl as plagued as he by the death of another.

Drawn to the mysteries of her soul, and the reason she waits for death, Marcus forms an awkward friendship with Abigail that quickly grows into more. She breathes life back into him. He can't relinquish it—any more than he can relinquish her.

But breaking a deal with Death has consequences he cannot escape—at least not for long.


Genre: Paranormal Romance/Women’s Fiction

Tell us about yourself.

This question always stumps me! Let’s see… I’m a mom and a wife, and I love the beach, Sour Patch Kids, and Cold Case (I think I’m obsessed.) Oh, and I’m learning German for no reason at all. Guten Tag!

How did you become a writer? 
Writing has always been a passion, so I can’t say that anything caused it other than the desire to write. It’s just something I’ve always done and I can’t imagine not doing it.

Abigail sounds seriously awesome - and seriously dark. How did you set the mood to write your heavier scenes? Music? TV shows? 
Definitely music. When I sit down to write, the first thing I do is find a song that matches the mood I hope to convey in that particular scene/chapter. I find lyrics distracting, so I stick to post-rock and film scores. When I find *the* song, I play it once more to “center” myself in the scene, and then I begin to write. I’m told my writing is emotional and lyrical, and I think this has a lot to do with it. There is something special in finding the right song and getting lost in it while the words are flowing. I’m able to completely shut out the world and really tap into the emotions and moods of my characters. 

If your MCs had theme songs, what would they be? 
Dead Hearts by Stars. I always imagined this song to be a conversation between Marcus and Abigail, where she finally understands how painful it is for Marcus to take souls, and not just physical pain either. At first she doesn’t understand and thinks he’s an emotionless jerk, but he opens her eyes to how heartbreaking it is. Dead Hearts fits the situation perfectly.

When Abigail becomes a movie, what will the top five songs on the soundtrack be? 
Well, I was blessed enough to have a very talented composer, Elliot Corner, compose a song for the book! It’s titled The Awkward Love Song of Abigail Archer, and so that would definitely be first on the soundtrack. The other four would be:
Mono  Are You There
Mono  Burial at Sea
Audiomachine     Wounded Heart
Chopin Nocturne in C Sharp Minor

And who would you cast as your MCs?
Ben Barnes and Mia Wasikowska are the perfect Marcus and Abigail. Ben would have to grow his hair out though, the way it was when he played Prince Caspian *swoon* 

If you met Marcus in a coffee shop, what would you do? 
Oh gosh, I’d hug him and apologize for everything I put him through! He’s such a good guy, and wants to make things right, but he’s so torn between duty and desire that it breaks my heart to even think of him.


The Awkward Love Song of Abigail Archer is available in paperback and ebook format on 
Black Opal Books, Amazon, B&N and Kobo.


Author Bio: Always a lover of the written word, Monica Sanz spent her childhood whisked off into the many worlds within books, and has spent her adult life creating them. She’s a self-professed hopeless romantic, and strives to give her readers deep, emotional pieces that will stay with them long after they’ve put them down.  When not writing, you can find her on the sunny beaches of South Florida where she resides with her husband and two children.

Connect with Monica:
Twitter @MonicaBsanz
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MonicaSanzAuthor
Blog: http://monicabsanz.blogspot.com/

Excerpt:

“I know I said I never ask, but I’m curious,” Marcus said. “The night that I came for you, when you were waiting for me, you weren’t injured in any way. I know that sorrow can sometimes drive anyone to do things, especially to themselves.”

Abigail frowned. “You mean did I take my own life?”

He let his uneasy silence answer. 

Abigail turned over and focused back on the dark overhead. “I could never bring myself to do it,” she said finally. “I did think of it sometimes...often. I always thought that if you experience anything for long enough, it somehow becomes easier, almost as if it sprouts roots and becomes a part of you. I didn’t want that. I didn’t want to get used to the pain and to missing her. But just as it’s been an insult to her memory for me to go on living, it would have been worse to end my own life. How could I be selfish enough to swallow a bottle of pills just because I couldn’t deal with the pain anymore? No. I deserve to live. I deserve to wake up each day and remember.”

Marcus nodded and waited until her last words settled between them before asking, “Then are you ill somehow?”

Abigail smiled. “Does heartbreak count?”

Marcus regarded her for a moment, staring at the deep sadness in her eyes. “Yes, it counts.”

“Then yes, I am ill. And when I die, it will have been of a broken heart.”

Be sure to check out The Awkward Love Song of Abigail Archer. Doesn't it sound fantastic?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me, ST! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, and lovely questions! I already finished the book and it was amazing :)

    Also, completely aside, why German? Of all languages to learn... (ok, I admit there is a mutual hatred between myself and the German language. Bad high school memories.)

    ReplyDelete