Saturday, July 13, 2013

Immortal Interviews: Ull meets Jack



I have a big treat for y'all today. Our Norse cutie-pie Ull is interviewing Jack, the immortal gargoyle from Louise D. Gornall's brand new release, In Stone.  

But first, here's a quick peek at In Stone: 
Beau Bailey is suffering from a post-break-up meltdown when she 
happens across a knife in her local park and takes it home. Less than a week later, the new boy in school has her trapped in an alley; he’s sprouted horns and is going to kill Beau unless she hands over the knife. 

Until Eighteenth-century gargoyle, Jack, shows up to save her.

Jack has woken from a century-long slumber to tell Beau that she’s unwittingly been drafted into a power struggle between two 
immortal races: Demons and Gargoyles. The knife is the only one in existence capable of killing immortals and they’ll tear the world apart to get it back. To draw the warring immortals away from her home, Beau goes with Jack in search of the mind-bending realm known as the Underworld, a place where they’ll hopefully be able to destroy the knife and prevent all hell from breaking loose. That is, provided they can outrun the demons chasing them.

Pretty fantastic right? Now take it away, gentlemen. 

Ull: Jack, will you tell me about the world you are from?

Jack: Right now everything is a mess. There's this knife floating around that has the power to kill immortals. Where I come from there are two types of immortal, there's us and then there are demons. Demons are dangerous. As a gargoyle it's always been my job to protect the humans. Pretty easy work until this knife shows up. Now the demons think that if they get their hands on the knife they can challenge us and take this world... Nightmare.

Ull: So you live on Midgard -- Earth?

Jack: I do. I live in a stone shell, perched above a door at Saint Sebastian's church.

Ull: And you are a... gargoyle. I do not think I have ever met one before. What exactly is a gargoyle?

Jack: A gargoyle is... well, Beau would tell you we're hideous lumps of stone. She'd be half right. It's the shell that's a lump of hideous stone, what's inside is the person you were before you landed yourself in Purgatory.

Ull: Purgatory?

Jack: Yeah, that's where we come from.

Ull: What does a gargoyle do? Are you a warrior?

Jack: I'm a protector. I mean, we get into fights, but we don't gear up for war like you guys do. Still, like a warrior, there are some things I would die for...

Ull: Gods are not supposed to interact with mortals, but we seem to have blown that one right out of the water lately. Any laws governing gargoyles?

Jack: We're not allowed to "reveal" ourselves to humans either... but there's this girl. There's always a girl, right? I need her help destroying the knife. She's an absolute pain in the arse, but I don't know what I'd do without her.

Ull: I know the feeling. *grins* What do you wish you could do that you cannot do?

Jack: There's not much that I can't do, but I do wish that there was no such thing as bad blood. I wish that I could hold a friend when I know she's hurting. Above everything I wish I didn't know what I do now.

Ull: I am so sorry. Hold on just a moment. *answers mobile phone* Hei hei, darling. What? Oh, you have got to be kidding me. Fine. *puts down phone* Kristia wants me to ask what a gargoyle eats. Specifically, she wants to know your favorite flavor of cupcake.

Jack: Is Kristia the kind of girl that'll get mad if I tell her I don't eat? Tell her I don't eat. Tell her I'm dead so food is sort of superfluous to me, but Beau eats cookies like they're going out of style.

Ull: *answers phone again, looking irritated* Hei hei, Inga. No. I will not ask him that. What? Oh, all right. *puts down phone* Sorry about that. Now Inga wants to know what a gargoyle wears. And if cashmere irritates your skin on account of the stone thing. I swear...

Jack: *looks down at his clothes, twists his lip, scratches his head* Is cashmere clothes? I picked up my jeans and sweater from a local shop in town. Cashmere -- it kind of sounds like a type of fragrance, don't you think? Tell her I'm not sure, I've never used Cashmere, but I smell kind of musty from the stone so I'll give it a go.

You can read more about Jack in IN STONE, now available at:






4 comments: