Monday, June 10, 2013

The Georgia Corbins by Kara Leigh Miller

Today I get to host a lady who is not only my dear writer-friend, but also an amazingly talented multi-genre writer. Congratulations to Kara Leigh Miller, who celebrates not one, but TWO book birthdays this week!  Death Of A Waterfall is her NA contemporary. And The Georgia Corbins is her YA contemporary romance.  In addition to her writing, Kara's the "Kaptain" of our #DarksideResearch Team, providing highly entertaining commentary and visuals on Twitter.  And she always makes time to encourage her fellow writers.  What a busy gal!


The Georgia Corbins: 
Ali Philips never thought anything could be more devastating than the day Levi and Tucker Corbin, her two best friends - her only friends - moved away. Three years passed without a single phone call, text message, or email from them and she's resolved to the fact that she will probably never see them again. Until one morning when she comes face-to-face with Levi Corbin in physics class. Little does she know, the Corbins have returned to Haldeen with only one thing on their minds: winning Ali's heart. Ali soon finds herself in the middle of a love triangle she doesn't want any part of. As she tries to reclaim the friendships she's lost and to adjust to the unfamiliar feelings she's having, she struggles with making the one decision that will forever change their lives: Levi or Tucker Corbin?

She's always had a special bond with Tucker and feels most comfortable when she's with him. But Levi brings her to life in a way she didn't think was possible and makes her feel things she didn't think she would ever feel. Torn between the two, Ali is certain of only one thing - by the time it's over, she'll lose one of her best friends.


Doesn't that sound fantastic? It's on my TBR list, for sure. Kara was sweet enough to let me borrow the MC of The Georgia Corbins. Ali and Elsker's Kristia got together to talk small town livin'.  Let's find out what our heroines had to say!


Kristia: Hi Ali. It's great to meet you. Tell me about yourself.

Ali: Hi, Kristia! Nice to meet you, too. Thanks for letting me hang out with you today. I was so bored! Anyway, I'm 17 years old, a junior in high school, and I'm from Georgia. I've always been more of a tomboy, climbing trees, digging for worms, and fishing at the swimming hole. What about you? Are you more of a tomboy or a girly-girl?

Kristia: More girly than tomboy, I think. My grandmother drilled some pretty hard-core manners into me from day one -- we’d have tea in china cups and discuss Emily Post. Which she made me read cover to cover. Gosh, I miss her. But back to you. You're from a pretty small town, right? I’m from Nehalem -- it has one stoplight, 300 residents, about 30 guys close to my age, 3 of whom are named Mike.  

Ali: Yes, I'm from a very small town called Haldeen. It's in the southernmost part of Georgia, near the Chattahoochee River—that's what we all call the swimming hole. We have two stoplights and I have no idea how many residents, but I'm guessing it's not that many because I know all of them. I bet I could name every single one of them in less than half an hour, too! But that would be pretty boring so I'm not gonna do it.

Kristia: What about the dating prospects in your hometown? It's pretty slim pickin's in Nehalem.

Ali: O.M.G. Don't even get me started about the boys in Haldeen. There ain't many of them. There are way more girls than boys, which totally sucks. But, let me see…there's Brody Nash, who likes to drink too much, and then he becomes so obnoxious you just don't want to be around him. There's Jimmie Allen Vincent. He thinks he's God's gift to women, and let me tell you, he ain't even close. Then, of course, there are the Corbin boys: Levi and Tucker.
*long, dreamy sigh*
Lookin' at them is like drinkin' honeysuckle straight from the vine. Mmm…here, I gotta picture. Wanna see? They've been my best friends my whole life.

Kristia: Wow. We didn’t have guys like that in Nehalem. Lucky girl. *winks* What about job prospects after high school? We've got a lumber mill and a bunch of tourist traps, including my family's antique shop. But I'd rather work in an art museum. What about you?

Ali: *laughing* Yeah, the only job prospects in Haldeen are Dalton's—the diner in town that's a popular hangout for the high school kids on a Friday night; the Vincent's grocery store, which is own and run by Jimmie Allen's father. That's how we get beer for our field parties every week. Jimmie Allen steals it from his dad's store. And his dad never notices because he's either drunk or busy chasing the widows of Haldeen. Most kids usually leave after high school, though; and those that don't usually work on the family farm.

My mom is in the process of opening a book store café. I know she'd let me work there. That wouldn't be too bad. I'm really close to my mom. Are you close to yours?

Kristia: Not particularly. My grandmother raised me, and my parents came around when it worked. *shrugs* Different strokes, right?  That would be fun to work in a book store café.  I hope you and your mom do that together.

Ali: Seriously though, I want to go to college. I don't know where. Probably somewhere close. Atlanta maybe. Are you going to college? *shrugs* What can I say? I'm a small town girl. I want to raise my own kids in Haldeen someday.

Kristia: Yeah, small towns have their perks. What's your favorite thing about yours? Mine has this quiet spot just off the river. I love it because you'd never know it was there if you weren't looking for it. My best friend and I go there to talk, or just read.

Ali: Yes, I love my town even though I complain about it a lot. *laughs* My favorite spot…hmm, I have two of them; the swimming hole, which is actually just a section of the Chattahoochee River; and the abandoned hayloft that sits between my house and the Corbin farm. I spent a lot of time at both of those places as a kid. Me and the Corbins would go swimming then we'd climb the tree into the hayloft and just lay there for hours talking about stuff. *sigh* I wish things were that simple again.

Kristia: And location is everything, right? Nehalem has ocean on one side, forest on another, and a river on a third. It's absolutely gorgeous. What's Haldeen look like?

Ali: Haldeen has the river along one side and farm land everywhere else. There's one main road that runs through town with two stoplights, both at opposite ends. One is near the high school and the other is near the only gas station. You could probably walk from one end of town to the other in less than twenty minutes.

Kristia: Anything else you want to share?

Ali: We've talked a lot about what we love about our towns, but is there anything you hate about Nehalem? The one thing I hate about Haldeen is how people always know everything about everyone all the time. The gossip is horrible!

Kristia: Ah, there is that, isn’t there? You’d love Nehalem though, most of my townsfolk are too busy whispering about how crazy they think I am to care much about anyone else. You’d fade right into the woodwork.

Ali: Well, for the record, I don't think you're crazy. And what do y'all do for fun in your neck of the woods? We have field parties every Saturday night. Sometimes, if we get really bored, we'll drive into Bardin County and try to find something to do there. At least Bardin has a movie theatre and a roller skating rink.

Kristia: We do lots of bonfires on the beach, tons of hiking, and there’s always the chance of someone driving us to the Tillamook Cheese Factory. They have the best ice cream.   It’s so great to meet you, Ali. I’m really glad we got to talk.

Ali: Me too! Thanks, Kristia!

You can buy The Georgia Corbins NOW at Entranced Publishing! Be sure to check out the book trailer, and add The Georgia Corbins to your Goodreads TBR list!

Find Kara on her blog, Twitter, or Facebook.

About The Author: Born and raised in the small town of Mexico, New York, Kara was an only child who was forced to find ways to entertain herself. Playing make believe with her Barbie dolls and stuffed animals was her first real taste of storytelling before she became old enough to develop a love affair with the written world. In early 2010, Kara picked up her very first romance novel, and she was instantly hooked. She loves to write contemporary romance, erotica, and young adult romance. Currently she has several full-length novels in the works, a series of novellas, and a handful of short stories. Kara is an active member of the CNY Creative Writers Cafe and the CNY Romance Writers. Today, Kara resides in New Haven, New York, with her husband, five kids, and three cats. When she's not reading or writing, she's thinking about reading and writing. And when she's not doing that, she's spending time with her family and friends.




To celebrate the release of The Georgia Corbins, Kara Leigh Miller is giving away exciting prizes. The Grand Prize, which is open to US residents only, includes a signed copy of The Georgia Corbins, The Georgia Corbins hardcover journal and postcards, The Georgia Corbins tote bag, Kara Leigh Miller pens and notebooks, and Legasea bookmarks.

Second and third prizes are an ebook copy of The Georgia Corbins, and one lucky person will win a first chapter critique. International entries are welcome. Good luck! Winners will be announced July 1st.



a Rafflecopter giveaway

5 comments:

  1. You're too sweet, ST! Thank you so much for inviting Ali to hang out with Kristia for the day. Ali doesn't get nearly enough girl time when she's always with the Corbin boys ;)

    I hope you and everyone else loves reading The Georgia Corbins as much as I loved writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to read your book Kara! Now tell us, if you could only date one Corbins bro, which would it be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do love them both, but if I'm forced to chose just one, it would have to be Levi! <3

      Delete
  3. Loved this interview! What creative ladies and fun characters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gain instant access to 16,000 woodworking plans.

    Teds Woodworking has more than 16,000 woodworking sketches with STEP-BY-STEP instructions, sketches and blueprints to make every project very easy...

    ReplyDelete